Sunday, April 19, 2015

Naugatuck State Forest

Date: 4/19/2015
Report Type: TA Report
Trail Name: Naugatuck State Forest
Town: Oxford (and a tiny bit of Beacon Falls)
Trail Conditions: Mostly dry

Observations/Information: First ride of the season on regular tires in Naugy West Block.

Did my usual little warmup loop, then decided to head down the west side of Res 3, counter-clockwise loop around #2, then back up the east side of #3.

Trails are mostly dry, except the stream crossings and surrounds - especially the crossing by the washed-out culvert where the old truck used to be, where the banks are a bit mucky. (Then again, I made it a point to avoid the places that tend to be wet, e.g. the Camaro trail, or the power line crossing north of #2.)


There's a tree down just south of Res 4 on the west side trail, a bit too big for my hand tools. The piney mess west of Res 3 seems to have more branches in it than I remember, and I spent ten minutes clearing a downed tree - 6-7 incher - with hand tools (leaving me sufficiently knackered I dragged through the rest of the ride).

It looks like the rip-rap crossing where the double culvert used to be is trying to silt in.


Maybe it's my imagination, but it felt like there were more loose stones than I remember.

Other users = a couple joggers and a family walking a couple of goldens.

Trail Ambassador Name: John Joy
Trail Ambassador E-mail: jmj [at] savagejoy [dot] com
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden:
Time of day: Morning
Time/Duration (hours): 1:05 (including TM)
Approximate Distance (Miles): 3 1/3

No comments: