Sunday, November 15, 2015

TM Report: Naugatuck State Forest

Date: Nov. 15, 2015
Report Type: TM Report
Trail Name: Naugatuck State Forest
Town: Beacon Falls, Oxford, Naugatuck
Trail Conditions: Clearly blazed!

Observations/Information: I have just about finished my work of blazing the trails in the Naugatuck State Forest, West Block. There are now about 15 miles of trails blazed and pruned back, work that took me 53 hours to accomplish with another 9 hours of help from others. I took the state map, enlarged that section, and added colors on top. Where two colors are shown side-by-side, that means a trail is blazed in two colors, such as Red-White. A copy of this map is available on the webpage I created on my West Rock Ridge State Park website at http://westrocktrails.blogspot.com/p/naugatuck-state-forest-west-block.html. The state will publish an updated version of the map with colors, but that could take a year. The official map without the colors is at http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/stateparks/maps/NaugatuckEastWestBlocksTrailMap.pdf. The trail along the west side of Reservoir 3 is not blazed. I thought about doing that, but the trail has many blowdowns due to the storm of several years ago, is overgrown with pricker bushers, and has soft, uneven ground, so it is not a good place for a trail. I recommend using the trail on the east side of the Reservoir. I am grateful to the state forester for granting this permission. The trails northeast of Spruce Brook Road have been marked by the state with metal disks. I have not visited that area recently, so I do not know how easy those trails are to follow. In addition to blazing and clearing, I also removed about 10 buckets' worth of litter.

Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Multiple colors
Time of day: Morning
Time/Duration (hours): 53
Approximate Distance (Miles): 15
Image 1: NSF, Red Tr. at powerlines, 11-15.jpg
Image 2: NSF, Orange Tr. at Green Tr., 11-15.jpg
Image Description(s)/Instructions: The gravel under the powerlines has been replenished, making for much easier biking and walking where the Red Trail passes under the powerlines. The Orange and Green Trails take different paths in the center of the forest.

No comments: